Corfu

Corfu

 

 

01_Korfu_Stadt

 

Corfu - Kerkyra

 

 

Corfu, called Kerkyra by the Greeks, is the northernmost of the Ionian islands and separated from the mainland only by a narrow sea-bed. In the north of the island, the 906-meter-high Pantokrator rises steeply. The south of the island is hilly, bordered on the west coast by higher mountains. Olive trees cover most of the landscape, giving the island its green face. In the craggy mountain and coastal landscape, fragrant herbs but also almost impenetrable macchia is growing.

Long-drawn pebbly, sandy beaches and small rocky bays can be found around Corfu.

Kerkyra, the island's capital, is considered one of the most beautiful cities in Greece. The old town is characterized by the long Venetian rule.

Corfu has a changing history behind it. Finds of tools from the Paleolithic period prove an early settlement. In ancient times, yet an independent city state, the island was conquered by the Romans in 229 v. C. Later it belongs to the Byzantine Empire. In the Middle Ages the Venetians took over the power. In 1797 French troops occupy the island. From 1815 on the British granted the Ionian islands a limited self-administration. In 1864 the island joined the Greek state.

Today the Corfiots live mainly from tourism. Bathers, hikers, cyclists and guests of cruise liners will enjoy the summer months. In the winter time - the rainy season - work in the olive groves begins.

Text: Edda Kühne